Monday, January 11, 2010

Nofx - Coaster


Ah NOFX, one of my favorite bands still carrying the flag for West Coast Punk Rock. Coaster, their eleventh studio album, has quickly risen up my charts, placing itself firmly in the ten albums that line my CD visor. After the disappointment from Wolves in Wolves Clothing having so many songs that just did not live up to the Fat Wreck Chords standard of excellence, I was ready for another mediocre-fest; but instead, was pleasantly surprised.From the opener "We Called it America" I was hooked. Great riffs, superb solos, catchy hooks, and the good ole down and dirty politics we've all come to expect from a Fat Mike production were present as well as some new angles. Now, I'll admit when you see new angles in a description of a well established bands newest release, I too cringe. But, songs like"My Orphan Year" where Mike opens up an emotional side for the audience, are not only well done but actually quite moving. Being from a single parent household, I found this song really pulled on my heartstrings heavily and even brought me to tears; not a normal reaction to the Sultans of Slander, but a nice change.As I mentioned the heavy social issues are still present with songs like "Blasphemy (The Victimless Crime)" and "Suits and Ladders" the guys successfully tackle delicate issues such as religion and capitalism with their ever blunt and poignant lyrics. Lines such as "I understand that faith in a deity/Helps the masses who are having hard times/But blasphemy like prostitution/Are clearly victimless crimes" will have you re-listening as though you were trying to grasp the latest Noam Chomsky read. In short, I was stoked to have a new NOFX that I felt I could slip right in the visor and reach for, knowing there would be some good quality tunes awaiting me. Oh boys, its nice to have you back!

No comments:

Post a Comment